You won't believe how easy it is to make this Salted Caramel Fudge. In less than 10 minutes you will have a pan filled with creamy fudge that is bursting with caramel flavor.
This fudge seriously cannot be any easier to make using just three ingredients including salted caramel baking chips.
I used the Kroger brand chips and they have a rich golden brown color and a robust caramel flavor. I have not tried the other brands of caramel chips but it does appear from looking at the pictures that they may have a softer caramel color.
Typically I would have blended the chips with sweetened condensed milk but I wanted to make sure the fudge had a really robust caramel flavor so I opted for Dulce de Leche instead.
What is Dulce de Leche?
- Dulce de Leche is caramelized sweetened condensed milk.
- Cans of sweetened condensed milk are cooked until the sugars caramelize turning into a soft yet really thick caramel sauce.
- Dulce de Leche has a deep caramel color and a milky caramel flavor.
When blended together the caramel baking chips and Dulce de leche produce a smooth and creamy fudge that has a deep caramel flavor.
If you prefer a lighter more mellow caramel flavor then try our other caramel fudge recipe which combines white chocolate with caramel ice cream sauce to create a soft chewy fudge.
If you have ever made homemade caramel you will understand the subtle differences in the flavor of these two fudge recipes. The one made with white chocolate is lighter in color and flavor like a caramel candy that is boiled just to the soft-ball stage. If you continue to cook caramel it becomes darker in color and deeper in flavor and this new fudge recipe has those characteristics.
- 16 ounces Salted Caramel Baking Chips
- 14 ounces Dulce de Leche
- Fleur de Sel Salt (or kosher or pretzel salt)
- 8-inch square pan
- optional, non-stick tin foil or parchment paper to line the pan
- OR grease the pan well with butter
Before you begin you might want to read our Easy Fudge Recipe FAQ page for tips and tricks for making perfect fudge every time.
- Prepare an 8-inch pan.
- You can grease it well with butter.
- Or line it with non-stick tin foil (my favorite method) or with two strips of parchment paper.
- Melt the caramel-flavored baking chips in the microwave or using a double boiler.
- Microwave method:
- Pour chips into a microwave-safe mixing bowl and heat on high power for 60 seconds then stir, then heat for 30 seconds then stir, and if needed heat for 15-second bursts of power, stirring after each until melted.
- Double Boiler Method:
- Pour the chips into the top of a double boiler set over 1 inch of water. Heat on low, stirring as needed, until melted.
- Microwave method:
- Add the Dulce de Leche and stir just until blended.
- This mixture will get really thick.
- Just blend it until the two come together.
- Do not overmix this or the oils from the baking chips will seep out making the fudge greasy.
- Pour into the pan and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle on as much salt as you like.
- Cover and set aside to firm up for about 4 hours. To speed up the process you can chill it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Then the fudge is ready to be cut into squares.
- If you have lined the pan then just lift the fudge out of the pan using the foil or parchment paper.
- Peel off the foil or paper and set it on a cutting board before cutting it into 36 squares.
- If you have greased your pan you may be able to turn the pan upside down and allow the fudge to fall out before cutting or you can cut it in the pan.
- It's best to store the fudge in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- You can refrigerate the fudge if needed and you can even freeze the fudge. See our Fudge FAQ page for details.
You can find the ingredients and supplies needed to make this fudge on Amazon (commission earned for sales). The Kroger brand caramel chips that I used to make this fudge are not available on Amazon but you can find them at Kroger. I used Nestle La Lechera Dulce de Leche, but you can use any brand.
Creamy and smooth fudge made by blending salted caramel baking chips with Dulce de Leche is sprinkled with salt to intensify the contrasting flavors.
- 16 ounces salted caramel baking chips
- 14 ounces Dulce de Leche
- Fleur de Sel, Kosher, or Pretzel Salt
Pour the caramel baking chips into a microwave-safe mixing bowl.
Heat on high power for 60 seconds then stir, then heat for 30 seconds then stir, and if needed heat for 15-second bursts of power, stirring after each until melted.
Alternatively, pour the chips into the top of a double boiler set over 1 inch of water. Heat on low, stirring as needed, until melted.
Add the Dulce de Leche and stir until combined. This mixture will get thick very quickly. Do not overmix or it will get greasy.
Pour into an 8-inch square pan that has been greased well with butter or lined with non-stick tin foil or strips of parchment paper.
Cover and set aside to firm up for about 4 hours. To speed up the process you can chill it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Remove the fudge from the pan if using tin foil or parchment paper then cut the fudge into 36 squares.
Store your fudge in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Before you go be sure to check out these other easy fudge recipes...