Enjoy smooth and creamy chocolate fudge loaded with nuts and marshmallows. This decadently rich fudge can be whipped up in minutes using just five ingredients.
Rocky Road Fudge
The classic flavor combination of rocky road — chocolate, marshmallows, and nuts — is one of my favorites. I’ll never turn down the ice cream version, but this rocky road fudge is so yummy and easy to make. Choose any nuts you prefer for this recipe. I suggest walnuts, peanuts, or almonds.
This easy fudge recipe can be made in either the microwave or on the stove-top. If you choose the stove-top, I suggest a double boiler. For another fabulous, easy fudge recipe made with chocolate and marshmallows, check out this marshmallow fudge. Everything you need to know about how to make fudge can be found on this FAQ page.
watch this short video to see how to make rocky road fudge
how to make the best rocky road fudge
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray or shortening, or line with greased foil.
- I prefer lining the baking pan with lightly greased parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil, because then you can lift the finished fudge out of the pan for easy cutting.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl place 2 cups chocolate chips and a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for 90 seconds at 70 percent power. Use the residual heat to stir the mixture well until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave for additional 15 second intervals.
- Alternatively, melt the chocolate and milk in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
- You’ll noticed I use a bit less chocolate here with the can of condensed milk than with other fudges. That’s because the marshmallows and walnuts add thickness to the final fudge.
- The video you can find at the post for chocolate fudge has a fantastic visual guide for how melting chocolate should look.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, nuts, and pinch of salt.
- Gently fold in the marshmallows.
- Don’t worry! The mixture should be cool enough now not to melt the marshmallows.
- Pour and spread into the prepared pan.
- Chill until well set, several hours. Cut into squares. Makes about 25 pieces.
how do you make a double boiler?
This recipe is very easy to make in the microwave, but if you prefer cooking on the stove-top, it’s best to melt chocolate in a double boiler (also called a bain marie). A double boiler lets you heat water on the bottom hot enough to melt the chocolate set above the water. This helps prevent the chocolate from scorching. If you don’t own a double boiler, simply fill a sauce pan about a quarter of the way full with water. Bring the water to a boil and lower to a simmer. Rest a heat-safe bowl on top, allowing a couple inches between the bowl and the water. Pour your chocolate and any other ingredients in the bowl and stir until melted.
can I substitute evaporated milk for the sweetened condensed milk?
Eek! No! This recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, which is a great shortcut for easy fudge because it allows you to skip the candy-making stage of creating a sugar syrup. However, evaporated milk is not the same thing, and it cannot be used as a substitute. For more fudge recipes that use sweetened condensed milk, check out Chocolate Fudge and
printable rocky road fudge recipe
Delicious, easy Rocky Road Fudge is filled with chocolate, walnuts, and marshmallows
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips 12 ounces
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts or peanuts
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan by lining it with lightly greased parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil.
In a large, microwave-safe bowl place the chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave for 90 seconds at 70 percent power. Use the residual heat to stir the mixture well until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth. If necessary, microwave for additional 15 second intervals.
If you prefer to cook on the stove-top instead of the microwave, melt the chocolate and milk in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract, nuts, and pinch of salt. Gently fold in the marshmallows.
Pour and spread into the prepared pan. Chill until well set, several hours. Cut into squares.
rocky road desserts
There’s more to Rocky Road than ice cream and fudge! Check out these other rocky road desserts.
- I’m in love with rainbow Rocky Road.
- Rocky Road clusters look delicious.
- Oh my. No-bake Rocky Road cheesecake.
more fudge recipes
If you like this easy fudge recipe, check out more!